Friday, March 9, 2012

Tank Diary: Week 1

Week 1

The day after establishment. I'm happy with the aquascaping arrangement, but a bit disappointed in the corkscrew val which was cut to about 4 inches long when it arrived. I have heard that it frequently melts though so this may be a good thing in the end, but at the moment the left hand side looks pretty empty.

Water has clouded up a little bit. Haven't turned on the filtration yet as I was up until midnight planting it out last night after the plants arrived in the post. I've just flicked on the eheim 2215 after taking this pic.

Day 2
 7.4 (pH), 0.25 ppm (NH3/NH4), 0 ppm (NO2), 0 ppm (NO3), 2.5 (KH), 3 (GH)
Major cloudiness has set in on day 3. I suspect that this is due to the pool filter sand, or eheim filter material not being rinsed thoroughly enough.

Day 3
The cloudiness is getting worse, which I'm putting down to excess nutrients and a bacterial outbreak. I can no longer see the end of the aquarium looking in from the sides. I'm prepared though! Everything I've read suggests that the tank will be very unstable for the first month or so.

Day 4
On day 5, I've performed a 50% water change and added a single neon tetra to kick start my cycling. I know neons aren't the best for this, but he/she was all alone in my Jebo that I will dismantle shortly. 

Day 5 (50% water change)
7.4 (pH), 0.25 ppm (NH3/NH4), 0 ppm (NO2), 0 ppm (NO3), 2.5 (KH), 3 (GH)

Day 6
7.4 (pH), 0.25 ppm (NH3/NH4), 0 ppm (NO2), 0 ppm (NO3), 2.5 (KH), 3 (GH)

Day 7 (50% water change)

After 7 days and no major algae outbreaks, I've upped the photoperiod from 6 to 7 hours. Water parameters over the first week have remained constant, with no ammonia spikes. I've noticed new growth on the hygro, water sprite, chain swords and bacopa. All going well with the exception of the major cloudiness which seems to be progressively setting in after water changes. Theres also some white fungus on the driftwood, but I reckon this will settle down. 


Cloudiness has improved since the latest water change, so I'm hoping it will get better over the next few days!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate your feedback! I'd love to get some insight from other dirt enthusiasts out there.